Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF YOUR FIELD TECH

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF YOUR FIELD TECH
FEATURING JULIO

We followed Julio around one morning just to see how one of the most senior and reputable techs go about his day. Here’s what we found:

Q: HOW DOES YOUR DAY START?
J: By picking up and organizing orders placed the day before. It’s important to get this            
   going early to get to the customers as soon as possible.

Q: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THE DAY?
J: Being able to resolve a customer issue without having to have them wait. It feels great
   when you know you’re able to fix something needed and relied on. It’s most
   rewarding when a customer appreciates what I do.

Q: BIGGEST CHALLENGE
J: Sometimes the parts to fix a lift truck are very specialized and orders need to be placed and there will be a wait period, particularly if the factory has it on back order. And you know the customer wants his truck up and running as soon as possible.

Q: HOW DO YOU HANDLE THIS CHALLENGE?
J: I keep my customers updated at least every other day until the parts arrive. Most of
   them understand the process, but it helps our relationship when I keep them posted as  
  often as I can.

Q: WHERE WOULD YOU STOP FOR LUNCH?
J: If possible, my number one choice is seafood. Oysters, shrimp, fish, lobsters! Any kind of seafood!

Q: ANY UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCES WHILE ON THE JOB?
J: I had a last repair heading into the night. It was a brake problem needing drums to be cut. I had to take the part to downtown LA and secured permission from my supervisor if I can head back to the customer and complete the job after I got the drum fixed. When my customer saw me back, they wondered if I had forgotten something. But when I told them I’m back to finish the job, they were very happy and appreciative. Seeing my customers pleased is reward enough for that extra effort.

Q: DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE CUSTOMER?
J: When you’ve been around 15 years, they all become your favorites. But there are some you work longer and spend more time with. They become your second workplace—you know everyone in their warehouse, you’ve got a good relationship with all their employees.

Q: WHAT’S THE SCMH VALUE THAT YOU CAN MOST RELATE WITH?
J: Sense of urgency. It’s always at the top of my mind because sometimes, we can’t fix everything right away. But if I always try my best, it shows. The customer sees it and knows I am working hard to make things done no matter the circumstances—that’s what matters to the people I serve. That I will do everything I can and get them running as fast as I can.

Q: HOW DOES YOUR DAY END?
J: Final notes. Paperwork. Place orders for the next day’s service calls…

Q:  NO, AT THE VERY END AFTER WORK
J: (Laughs) I kick off my heavy boots. Hang in the garage for five to 10 minutes. Then find the kids inside the house.

Julio is a Journey Tech A and has been with SCMH for 15 years. He enjoys spending time with his four children ages 27 through 14. He’s also looking forward to a time when he gets to be a grandfather—although waiting a few more years won’t hurt. If you have Julio as a tech in your warehouse, remember he loves seafood!

More at: http://www.scmh.com/a-day-in-the-life-of-your-field-tech/

No comments:

Post a Comment